A GP practice should accept you as a patient if you live within their practice boundary, are entitled to NHS treatment and their practice list is not closed. If you are eligible, but not necessarily entitled to NHS treatment (e.g. an overseas visitor), the practice can still register you as an NHS patient, but they do not have to.

In order to register, you will be asked to provide proof of identity and proof of activity in the community. If you can't provide this, or if you don't know how long you'll be staying, you can ask to register as a temporary patient. If the practice will not register you, they must explain why in a letter of refusal within 14 days.

If you are ill and need to see a doctor urgently, your local GP practice must provide immediate and necessary treatment whether you're registered with them or not.

If there's a problem, you can contact the PALS service and if you've tried to register at three practices without success, you can ask to be allocated to a GP.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

PALS offers help, advice, support and information about the local health service
How to contact PALS:
0800 032 32 35
07919 466 212
Patient Advice & Liaison Service
NHS Southern Derbyshire CCG, Cardinal Square,  10 Nottingham Road, Derby, DE1 3Q

To find your local GP Practice in Southern Derbyshire please visit here.


Sorry there are no downloads.
choose well Choose the right care

For more information, help and support go to:  You can also find out more about


© Southern Derbyshire CCG 2014 - Developed by