Intermittent fasting has been on the spotlight for quite some time now. It gained popularity because it is known to be one of the most effective ways of weight loss. The diet consists of limiting your calorie intake in varying periods of time in a repeating pattern.
There are different ways that you can do in following this diet style. Your calorie intake can range from modest or even extreme to the point where you only have to consume water in a specific period of the day. The fasting can last whatever day you want it too. And foods that you must eat at that time depends on the severity of the dietary restriction.
Does it Work?
- The big question comes into mind: Is intermittent fasting effective? Various research has been done in the subject about the effectiveness of intermittent fasting in terms of losing weight. An effective diet is equal to long term weight loss. However, whatever diet you follow must be paired with little changes to your lifestyle. This includes exercise, stress management, and sleep.
How About Safety?
- Another important factor when it comes to losing weight is to ensure you are getting enough of your daily nutrients. This means you must have your daily dose of vitamins, minerals, protein, and more. Too much caloric restriction restricts you to get the nutrients your body needs. And once you enter the state of nutrient deficiency, you will be having a hard time losing weight, and you might get other severe medical conditions too.
- Concerns about how the metabolic process affects the body when you are following intermittent fasting has also been looked upon by researchers. And it is found that intermittent fasting affects the risk of getting type 2 diabetes. That means high levels of caloric restriction can have a negative impact to people who are diabetic. Medical concerns are on the rise for those people who followed intermittent fasting while being diabetic. So if you want to take on this path of health, you must consult your physician first to know what kind of risks are waiting for you before starting this kind og weight loss regimen.
The Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- However, there are still plenty of benefits in using this kind of dietary approach despite of various medical concerns on certain people. Benefits include:
- Lowers your risk of getting cancer.
- You can still follow the intermittent fasting without severely restricting your calorie intake. This include taking nutritional supplements to limit your calories without sacrificing your nutrition during fasting days. This is proven to be effective if you want a long-term weight management to be successful.
- Intermittent fasting helps lower the obesity rate especially in the US.
- After all, it is still advisable to have a trip to your physician’s office before following such dietary approach. But if you’re willing to take the risk, then you must be prepared for whatever comes your way in following such.