Tired of getting joint pains the moment you wake up in the morning? There are a lot of reasons that contribute on why you are experiencing this. It may be normal for some but a serious concern for others. People who are suffering from arthritis may experience this morning pain or stiffness because of the lack of lubrication between the joints. Not to mention, the cartilage breakdown that covers the ends of the bones. This can happen on any parts of your body including your wrists, knees, ankles, fingers, and feet.
However, the pain is short-lived and will only last for about 10-15 minutes. But it’s a different story for others where the pain lingers on for the rest of the day. But you don’t need to worry! Listed below are seven ways to prevent and reduce the amount of morning joint pains you experience. Let’s have a look at them.
- Get enough sleep
- Sleep plays a vital role on preventing morning stiffness. When you get enough sleep, your body refuels and recharges. Thus, healing and repairing certain areas in your body where you might be experiencing this kind of pain.
- Mattress matters
- Your bed mattress is responsible if you experience joint pains in the morning. It may be too firm, too soft, or not supportive. When you have a mattress like this, your sleeping position is the one who’ll suffer. Thus, resulting into overnight strain on certain muscles in your body.
- Shower up
- There’s nothing better than starting the day with a hot shower. The warmth of the shower helps relieve the pain in your muscles and bring comfort to your morning and unto the day ahead.
- Eat well
- Your food choices affect your health. There are certain foods that can cause inflammation or affect your sleeping habits especially if eating before bedtime. What you can do is to be mindful of the foods you eat to prevent stiff joints upon waking up in the morning.
- Do some gentle stretches
- Stretching should be a part of your daily routine after you get out of bed. Gently do ankle circles, ankle pumps, knee bending, and wrist circles. Stretching helps reduce joint pain enabling you to do more for the rest of the day.
- Get physical
- Spend the rest of the day by doing various physical activities. Be it walking, running, biking, yoga, or whatever physical activity you can think of.
- Drink your meds
- Don’t forget to drink your meds in the exact time of the day of what was prescribed in your medication. Set an alarm 30 minutes earlier and drink your meds in this particular time so that the effect can take over your body before you start your day.
And now we’re done. With these simple tips listed above, saying goodbye to early morning joint pain is as easy as cake. You see, little changes in your lifestyle can create a long-term impact in your health. So start living healthy today, and your body will thank you later.