About 3 million people seek for kidney stone treatment year by year. Despite being familiar of what kidney stones are all about, here are some few facts that you might not know.
- Calcium is your friend
- There has been a misconception about calcium creating kidney stones. But the truth is, consuming more calcium can actually prevent stones from forming.
- Be tested before it’s too late
- If you have a stone, then it’s better to get tested as soon as possible. Knowing what kind of stone you got there can tailor specific prevention recommendations for each individual.
- One size doesn’t fit all
- Kidney stones are different in size. There are ones that are small as grain and there are others that are as big as a golf ball.
- Prevention is better than cure
- Doing simple changes to your lifestyle, diet, and medication ensures a 90% chance of preventing new stone from forming.
Foods to Eat to Prevent Kidney Stones
- There are certain foods that
help fight kidney stones from forming. And also, being mindful of the things
you eat can create worlds of difference when it comes to managing your health,
especially in the formation of kidney stones. With that said, here are the top
five foods that you should include in your regular diet that can help fight
- No doubt this one comes first in the list. The more you drink water, the lower the chance you will get kidney stones. About two to three liters of water per day is encouraged.
- This wonder fruit contains citric acid that helps break up stones and prevent them from forming back again. Add lemon to water for that refreshingly cool and tasty beverage.
- As stated earlier in this article, calcium can help fight kidney stones from forming. So increase your consumption in calcium-based products such as milk and yogurt.
- Cruciferous vegetables
- Opt for veggies that are rich in potassium such as Brussel sprouts, broccoli, and kale. These veggies are known to stop kidney stones from forming. As a bonus, they also contain antioxidants as well to prevent bladder, prostate, and kidney cancers.
- Whole grains
- Most whole grain foods help on maintaining a healthy weight which is important in prevention of kidney stones too.